Thursday, January 8, 2009

Friday Update

I haven't shaved since I left home, and when I saw myself in the mirror this morning I thought I was starting to look a little like my brother mark, so I think I might have to shave.........

We broke out one of the GPS (Global Positioning System) units here and had a local expert run us through setup and operation. 2 of our 6 team members had not yet been trained like the rest of us at U of MN in Nov. Also, we learned how to hook it up to a solar panel for power, and place the antenna on a little tripod for stability. None of us had experience with these two aspects.









Then we had the same local person train us on how to setup and operate a portable LIDAR system (Li ght D etection a nd R anging). It is essentially an array of "Lasers" that send out pulses and measure the return time. You can map a surface within 1 or 2 mm accuracy. So, the geologists in our group want to use it to map some features that are currently unexplained.



Michelle is controlling the thing with a ruggedized tablet PC.




After lunch I have to watch one more training video about preserving the ecology of the protected area we are going to. Then we all go to the science support center and pack up all of our gear, equipment, food, and personals and transport them down to the helo pad for the morning. We have to check out of our room and put any stuff we're not taking into storage. When we get back from field camp we then check into a different room they designate.

No comments:

Post a Comment